Tuesday, February 1, 2011

And Then She Said


It was Christmas Day 2009, Steve's Mom, Aunt and I took the Pare' Family kids up to the bonus room to chillax for a while after a wild morning of tearing into presents, playing with new toys and general Christmas morning mayhem.

I had ordered the original 1964 version of Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer narrated by Burl Ives from Netflix as it's one of my favorites and hoped the kids would enjoy it as much as I do. I popped the movie into the DVD player snuggled some kids in around me to take a rest while watching the film. Everything was calm and peaceful for 50 whole minutes. Then little attention spans shifted, the boys left the room Grandma chased after them, the Aunt had fallen a sleep on the couch, my three and a half year old niece Kaylee, my eight month old daughter Finley and I were the only ones left in the room.

When the movie ended I picked up Finley and took her over to execute a quick diaper change. Kaylee came along to watch. She was pretending to be Princes Lillis, a character from her imaginary world repertoire. Kaylee transforms into some of these imaginary characters and others are just hanging around so I have to be careful where I step lest I squish one.

Kaylee's mom Jen arrives in the room.

Jen
Hi whats going on up here?

Michelle
Well Princess Lillis was just dancing for us.

Jen
Princess Lillis show me your dance!

Kaylee aka Princess Lillis
F#ck, F$CK, F*CK, F******CK

Jen and I are totally taken aback and look at one another. I'm repacking the diaper bag while Fin crawls off to play. I tuck my face into my shoulder so I don't give away my smiles because while I find this hysterical it is clearly not a funny parenting moment for Jen. We'll have a good laugh over it later but not now. Not in front of the cussing three year old.

Jen
That is not a nice word we don't use that word Kaylee.

Kaylee aka Princess Lillis
F#ck, F$CK, F*CK, F******CK

Jen
Where did you hear that word?

And that's when Kaylee (points at me)
Aunt Shell!

Michelle
You DID NOT!

Aunty (who has now woken up from her nap on the couch)
She most certainly didn't hear it from anyone in here in the last hour.

Kaylee aka Princess Lillis
F#ck, F$CK, F*CK, F******CK

Michelle
I admit it's one of my favorite words but I have not said it even under my breath since I was getting in the car this morning to come here.

Jen
You were just the closest in proximity to blame. She could have heard it days ago.



No comments: