Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mother Ship's Mother Tongue

I used to be very well spoken in the English language.  I used to speak French fluently and dabble in Spanish, now I am hard pressed to string a sentence together in any language.  In the midst of a conversation I find myself running into the abyss of my mind searching through the darkness for very common words.  I mean common words like toilet and cupboard and refrigerator. All I see before me in the darkness of my once fertile mind is pea soup.  

I find I stare at my husband flailing my hands and pointing saying "beside the thing, the ...." my eyes growing wider willing him to understand my crappy sign language, all the while I envision my vocabulary  swirling, tiny letters, words and sentences circling the toilet bowl as they are flushed away.

This week while on vacation with my friend Nee', who has a 4 month old, it became very apparent to me that I was not alone in this.  Her new mommy tongue was as absent as mine.  she and I who usually are not at a loss for words mimed conversations interspersed with a new vocabulary that now include words like:

Hold it - wait for it - I don't believe until 6 weeks ago I ever uttered this word...

Ready?  

Here it is:  POOPIE

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, stick a fork in my eye now.  Please don't tell me it's gonna get worse before it gets better - I make a living with my words!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA I love it! I have mom-brain and there are some days where it's really bad and I'm embarassed to open my mouth.