Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloweenie

I love everything about Halloween! Halloween is my FAVORITE day of the year. It has been ever since I can remember. I love to dress up to go door to door to see all the costumes and pumpkins. Our friends would meet and tear through as many neighbourhoods as we could before 8:30 PM when we had to be home. Once home we dumped our pillow cases filled with the night's loot out onto the living room floor where we would sort them. Well, I, of A-Type personality sorted into like kinds then into bags. My mother would come by to check the candy and usually took her mom tax of a Kraft Caramel or two. They were her favourite.

One Halloween, my friend Kelly and I spent a good two weeks making our costumes. I was a box of Tide and she was the washing machine. We were in the 5th or 6th grade. Neither of us realized that we would not fit up the steps side by side in our costumes. We were presented with costume challenges all night long. Like when Steven Ayotte, the bad ass kid, in our class chased me while throwing eggs at me and I could not run very fast to get away because the box covered my knees. Yeah that was a good challenge. I was heart broken that there were eggs splatted all over my back after all my hard work making my costume. Now, however, I wish that egg chase was on video. How ridiculous! One day I'll write that scene into a screen play and it will live on forever. Anyway, Kelly and I were talking about this last week and we are still miffed that neither of our mother's took a photo of us. Are you kidding me? We worked for like two weeks on those costumes which is plenty of time to buy flash cubes, film and batteries for the old Kodak. This might explain why Kelly does not go anywhere without her camera. She is making up for a photo-less childhood.

This year our day began with a visit to see Daddy in the Emergency Department
(where he works)
The nurses began to put candy in her pumpkin. She all of a sudden was very into Halloween! Before that her pumpkin contained a sippy cup and her woofy - a toy dog.





Finley and I carved the pumpkin.



The littlest witch at nap time.
She had no idea I pinned the witch hat to her shirt earlier in the day.


I made Finley a beautiful cape in black and purple tulle with black ivy and purple & Black hydrangeas on the collar - I even made matching hydrangea clips for her hair. I came at her with the cape and she booked so fast to get away from me that she ran right into the dining room table. That was the end of mommy trying to make her wear the cape. Maybe next year?

She stood on the front porch with me while we gave out candy to all the kids. She was so excited watching them come up the steps to see her. She clapped her hands and helped to put candy in the bags and even ate a couple of rice crispy treats. She LOVED it and I'm SO happy! From here in we get to share in Halloween excitement!


1 comment:

Kelly Hill said...

OMG! I laughed so hard I cried when I read this to Mark!!! It is so true! I remember us struggling up those stairs-hahaha! We rocked our costumes that year. Seriously.

Your right, I totally don't get it...

1-How did our Mother's NOT take our picture!

2-Where was my sister? She totally could have kicked Steve's butt, I think she was a devil that year, she could have got him with her pitchfork!

3-YES! That is why I never go ANYWHERE without camera-I vowed NEVER to miss a KODAK MOMENT!

I look forward to the day that I answer MY door and see Finley standing there saying "Trick or Treat!"

xoxo Smell